Monday, August 15, 2011

White Coat Ceremony

One of the things I notice that distinguishes a doctor is his white coat. I never knew exactly why they wore them. I think now that I have my first white coat it makes more sense.

The white coat isn't just a uniform worn by medical professionals. It is symbol of who they are. A coat historically has been worn in the form of a mantle or a tunic showing power and authority even dating back to biblical times worn by priests and kings. Today it is rare to see people of power giving an address without a coat in one form or another. Secondly, coats or gowns are worn at graduations symbolizing knowledge. When Issac Newton was the head of Trinity College, Cambdridge, he wore a coat symbolizing the knowledge he had gained. The third point is the color, white. White is the color of purity. All doctors are held to the highest standard of purity. They must be pure and ethical in all they do. Doctors must be honest and fair to their patients, regardless of the outcome.

A couple weeks ago I was given the opportunity to receive my first white coat. I must admit that while I stood there receiving my coat, I was caught up so much in the excitement of receiving the coat that I forgot to take a moment and really realize what I was taking on. Not just a coat, but power, authority, knowledge, and most of all purity. After receiving the white coat, we stood as a class ready to embark, and we took an oath, an oath that I must remember every time I wear my coat. It reads:

     We the Class of 2015/2016, are committed to the following,

     To treat patients in a professional manner with intergrity and empathy
     To practice compassion and humility towards all patients in an unbiased manner
     To respect the humanity of all patients
     To guide patients through the most appropriate course of care
     To practice in a manner that augments selflessness and commitment
     To demand excellence of ourselves in practice of poditatry through lifelong learning in order to provide the highest standard of patient care
     To promote and support educational institutions and colleagues through awareness of podiatric medicine
     To dedicate ourselves to being accountable and ethical leaders in our communities and to uphold these commitments with solidarity and confidence as Doctors of Podiatric medicine.

In the oath that I took, I promised to my self and to all others these things. I know that this is a huge task, and a huge obligation, but I know that I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment